Choosing the right bathtub for your bathroom is an important decision. You need a tub that serves the practical purpose of allowing you to wash, but you also want one that is comfortable for long, indulgent soaks.
Furthermore, a bathtub is often the centerpiece of the room and an important decorative element in the overall visual effect you create.
For all of these reasons, you need to think carefully about which tub to buy before you make your final decision – so if you need help choosing, here, we bring you our top picks for best bathtubs to make sure you get it right.
First, let’s have a look at some of the things you should consider when shopping for a new bathtub.
The first things to think about when choosing a bathtub are practical considerations. It’s no good buying a tub and then realizing it won’t fit in your bathroom, for example.
First, consider the dimensions. Will a tub you are interested in fit into the space you have available for it? Even if it fits in, will it dominate the room and take up too much space? Make sure you choose a tub that is suitable for the room where you want to install it.
Second, is it big enough for your needs? Is it big enough for the people who will be using it? Remember, taller people may find it very uncomfortable to bathe in a tub that is too small for them. Also, think about the water capacity – a higher capacity can mean a more relaxing soak.
Another practical consideration is the materials the tub is made of, and there are a few options.
Most tubs nowadays feature layers of different materials, usually with an acrylic finish on the outside. These types of bath offer a good combination of durability and affordable price while also being easy to install and maintain.
Another option is cast iron. Cast iron baths offer a certain amount of old-style charm and sophistication and will last a very long time. However, they are heavy – which means they will stay in place but are also difficult to install or move – and can also be very cold to touch in winter.
Look for a material that will last a long time, suits your budget and also suits the look you are trying to create.
Stand-alone, fixed or shower?
There are several types of bathtubs on the market. Stand-alone tubs are designed to be installed anywhere. You can squeeze them into a corner, place them against the wall or even position them in the middle of a room to function as the centerpiece of the space.
Fixed tubs are made to fit against the wall while shower tubs are built into a space with glass panels on the outside and a shower on the inside.
The style you choose will depend on the room where you want to install it as well as your personal preferences about the look you hope to create.
Safety and ease of use
Safety is a significant factor when choosing a tub, especially for more elderly people. Does the tub have a non-slip bottom to help prevent accidents? Does it have handles to help you get in and out?
While practical considerations are extremely important, the aesthetics of any tub you install is also a vital part of the decision-making process. Bathtubs can be expensive, and you want one that complements your space well.
Most bathtubs are white, although other colors exist. Look at the shape of the tub and how it looks. Do you want a stylish minimalist modern tub, or do you prefer an antique look?
When choosing a bathtub, make sure you consider the way it looks as well as purely practical factors since you will probably be using it for many years to come.
The Best Bathtub on the Market of 2019
1. WOODBRIDGE 59″ Acrylic Freestanding Bathtub
This white freestanding bathtub from Woodbridge is 59” long, 31 ½” wide, 22 7/8” deep and can hold up to 55 gallons of water. This is a good size for most average-sized people but at the same time is convenient to install in a range of different spaces.
We like the understated style of this tub. It has an elegant design and will add a touch of class to almost any bathroom. As a freestanding model, it will look just as good installed against a wall, in a corner or in the center of the room.
This tub is made of high gloss white acrylic and is reinforced with resin and fiberglass. It features a stain-resistant, scratch-resistant surface, making it easy and effortless to clean and maintain.
It is also tough and durable and can support a maximum weight of 1,000lbs – and this is backed up by a five-year warranty. It also includes everything you need to plumb it in, and the plumbing components are also covered by a one-year warranty.
There are few things we don’t like about this bathtub, but we can mention one or two minor negatives. One point that’s worth mentioning is that the tub is very lightweight. This means you will need to ensure it is fixed securely in place to prevent it from moving about.
Also, it can take a while to fill since the diameter of the lines and the faucet is a little narrow.
Other than these minor issues, this is a high-quality tub and would be a great option for anyone looking for a stylish and attractive addition to their bathroom.
- Comfortable shape – designed with sloping lines to follow your body
- Elegant style – will look chic and sophisticated in any home
- Easy to clean and maintain – stain-resistant, scratch-resistant surface
- Includes anti-leak drain – comes with everything you need for installation
- Includes 5-year warranty – and a 1-year warranty for the plumbing
- Lightweight – will need to be securely attached to prevent it from moving
- Takes a while to fill – faucet and pipe have a narrow diameter
2. WOODBRIDGE BTA-1516 white 59″ Acrylic Freestanding Bathtub
This is another bathtub from Woodbridge that is very similar to the version above but with slightly smaller dimensions. It has the same length of 59” but is narrower (28 ¾”) and deeper (27 ½”), making it suitable for smaller spaces. However, it still has the same capacity of 55 gallons.
Other than this, it has all the same positive points. We like the fact that the surface is designed to resist stains and scratches, making it easy to keep this bathtub clean and looking like new.
It is also tough and durable like the previous version, and it is constructed of acrylic reinforced with fiberglass. It is rated as being able to hold two people at once – or up to 1,000lbs – and is covered by a five-year warranty if anything goes wrong.
The integrated overflow is made of brushed nickel, and a push pop-up drain is included. The overflow and the drain are also pre-installed.
On the downside, the plumbing parts don’t seem to be of the same high standard as the rest of this bathtub. While they will certainly do the job, some people might prefer to buy their own plumbing separately and install it with that instead.
Also, depending on how and where you install it, it may also drain a bit slowly – again, this is an issue related to the plumbing parts supplied with the tub.
However, if you are willing to overlook these small issues – or are willing to buy your own plumbing components – this is a beautiful, comfortable bath that most people will enjoy using.
- More compact size – makes it suitable for smaller spaces
- Attractive stylish design – will complement most bathrooms
- Easy to wash and look after – features non-scratch, non-stain surface
- Comes with everything necessary for plumbing in – including pipe and drain
- Tough and durable – strong enough for two people or 1,000lbs
- Plumbing materials lower quality – not the same standard as the rest of the tub
- Can drain a little slowly – again, related to the plumbing parts
3. American Standard 2461.002.020 Cambridge 5-Feet Bath Tub with Right-Hand Drain
The five-foot Cambridge model from American Standard is a high-quality bathtub that measures 60” in length by 32” in width and is 17 ¾” deep.
It is made from a patented material known as Americast – this layered construction features a layer of molded reinforced material, a layer of enameling-grade metal and finally, a porcelain enamel finish on the outside.
This material has been created as an alternative to cast iron and is said to be more durable, lighter and less expensive to install.
This bathtub is also ADA-compliant (Americans with Disabilities Act) and offers a built-in seat at the drain end of the tub.
Something we like about this tub is that it is deep and comfortable – this makes it the perfect option for anyone who loves a long hot soak after a hard day at work…or for any other reason. The lumbar support also adds to the comfort.
One negative is that the skid-free bottom can become discolored with time, taking on a slightly beige tinge. This makes it harder to keep the tub looking like new in the longer term.
Another small gripe is that the support brackets for the apron are made of a soft metal, meaning they can bend during installation if you are not careful.
However, overall, this is a high-quality, luxurious bathtub that most people will be extremely happy to own. If you are looking for a new tub for your bathroom, this one could be worth considering.
- Made of patented Americast engineered steel – alternative to cast iron
- Good depth – perfect for a long, luxurious soak
- ADA-compliant – meets the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Chip-resistant surface – will stay in perfect condition for longer
- Built-in anti-skid surface – helps reduce risk of accident
- Skid-free surface becomes colored with age – can take on a beige hue
- Support brackets for apron made of soft metal – can bend during installation
4. Empava 67″ Made in USA Luxury Freestanding Bathtub Soaking
This tub from Empava has dimensions of 66.92” in length by 31.49” in width. It is 26.77” in depth and can hold up to 58.11 gallons of water.
The most striking thing about this tub is its visual design. It boasts a modern, minimalist style and would make a particularly striking addition to any bathroom. We think this is one of the most visually appealing bathtubs we’ve seen.
It is made of glossy white acrylic that is reinforced by fiberglass. This construction ensures it is durable and hard to damage.
It is also a good size, holding plenty of water for long, indulgent soaks. Its size is large enough to accommodate anyone up to six feet tall or more quite comfortably.
We can’t find much wrong with this tub. If we have to pick holes, we might complain that the supplied drainage system might not be compatible with all installations and may leak. However, it’s easy enough to replace this with better-suited plumbing.
Also, the surface in the bath is very smooth, and some people might find it too slippery – in which case, installing non-slip mats might be a good idea. However, this is just a matter of personal preference.
All in all, this is a great option for anyone who wants a bathtub that will contribute greatly to the overall visual effect of their bathroom. If you’re looking for a comfortable bathtub with great aesthetics, this model should be high on your list of possibilities.
- Beautiful attractive design – among the most stylish we’ve seen
- Made in USA – an American-made product
- Good size for taller people – comfortable for people up to 6ft and more
- Made of durable materials – glossy white acrylic reinforced with fiberglass
- Holds plenty of water – deep enough for a long soak
- Slippery surface – some people might prefer to install anti-slip mats
- Drainage provided not suitable for all installations – may leak
5. AKDY AZ-F274 Bathroom Freestand Acrylic Bathtub
This freestanding bathtub from Akdy is another model that benefits from a simple but highly stylish design that will make it an attractive centerpiece to your bathroom.
It measures 70.9” in length, 31.5” in width and has a depth of 28.3”. These dimensions give it the capacity to hold up to 95 gallons, far more than most other bathtubs, making this the ideal option if you love luxurious long, hot soaks.
Furthermore, it features a double-wall construction, ensuring the water retains its temperature for longer and allowing you to enjoy your tub for extended periods. Adding to the levels of comfort is the tub’s curvaceous design with flowing lines and a rounded rim.
This bathtub comes with the fittings and everything else you will need to plumb it in – however, as with many similar tubs, the supplied fittings might not be suitable for all installations. Using the supplied drainage may cause the tub to drain slowly.
Also, one small issue is the location of the pop-up drain in the tub. Some people might find it a little awkward since it is easy to sit on.
To summarize, this in a highly attractive and striking tub that will look good in most bathrooms. If you are looking for a well-priced, attractive tub, this is one you would do well to consider.
- Simple attractive design – will look great in a range of bathroom settings
- Flowing lines with a rounded rim – built for comfort
- Double-walled – ensures the temperature of your bathwater is maintained for longer
- Extra-large capacity – ideal for luxurious long soaks
- All fittings are included – comes with everything you need to install it
- Can drain slowly – depending on how the drainage is installed
- Pop-up drain a little awkwardly located – you may find you end up sitting on it
6. FerdY 65” Acrylic Freestanding bathtub
This freestanding tub from FerdY measures 64.8” in length by 31.8” and has a depth of 23.6”. It holds an impressive 60.8 gallons of water and has a weight limit of 800kg (over 1,750lbs), making it ideal for both one-and two-person bathing.
It features a stylish understated design that is elegant and visually pleasing. This is another tub that will make a striking centerpiece to your bathroom.
It is made of high-quality material that doesn’t creak when you use it and features a durable acrylic finish for extra durability. It is made not to discolor with time – it is guaranteed to keep its high gloss white color by a ten-year warranty.
It comes with a kit to plumb it in, and it also features adjustable feet to help you find a perfect level, even on unstable floors.
We have few complaints about this tub. We might complain that the supplied stopper is not perfect, and you might to prefer to buy a replacement.
The only other real issue is the price since this is an expensive bathtub – but if you don’t mind the higher price, it still represents great value for money.
This is a recommended bathtub for anyone who wants something that is high-quality and pleasing on the eye. However, if you are on a budget, you might prefer to look elsewhere.
- High-quality materials – high gloss, non-creak with a durable acrylic finish
- Elegant design – simple and understated
- Won’t discolor with time – guaranteed by a 10-year warranty
- Can take up to 800kg (over 1,750lbs) – ideal for one- or two-person bathing
- Includes adjustable feet – to find the perfect level on any surface
- Drain stopper supplied not perfect – might need to buy a better one
- Expensive option – more expensive than many comparable tubs
7. DKB Zarya UB118-7034 Freestanding Acrylic Bathtub
If you are looking for a luxurious tub with a large water capacity that is ideal for long, pampering soaks, this elegant freestanding model is worth investigating.
It measures 70” in length by 33.4” in width with a depth of 23.6”. It has a maximum water depth of 13.9” and can hold a huge 92 gallons of water.
The surface is made of ultra-smooth acrylic that gives it a striking look while also ensuring it is tough and durable. The manufacturer claims that it will hold its white color for up to 30 years with proper care and maintenance.
We like that it retains heat well, meaning your water will stay hot for longer – allowing you to enjoy more time in your steaming tub. It also includes an attractive pop-up chrome drain that is located in the middle of the tub for convenience.
A small negative is that it is difficult to fix in place – it is only held in place by its own weight. However, in most cases, this alone will be enough to ensure that it doesn’t move around.
Also, due to the size and shape as well as the lack of handles, some people might find it hard to sit up – this might not be the best option for anyone with reduced mobility.
All in all, a luxurious and visually appealing tub at a reasonable price. If you are looking for an extra-large tub with plenty of volume, this is one that should be on your radar.
- Extra-large capacity – holds up to 92 gallons with a water depth of 13.9”
- Ultra-smooth acrylic surface – looks great and made to last
- Keeps its color for longer – manufacturer claims up to 30 years with proper care
- Holds heat well – water stays hot for a good length of time
- Concealed feet – allows you to find a perfect level
- Can’t be fixed in place easily – just held in place by its own weight
- A little hard to sit up – due to it being so large
A haven in our hectic modern lives
For many people, their bathtub is a haven they can seek out for a moment of respite from their hectic modern lives. Soaking in a beautiful bathtub is a pleasure many people look forward to, and for this reason, choosing the right one is such an important decision.
If you are having trouble making up your mind which one to install in your bathroom and need a little help, any of the options in this review would be a great place to start looking.