It seems to me that I cannot live without my bathroom. Since I use it several times a day, I suppose that it is reasonable to expect to feel comfortable and perfect there. I believe it is the same with you. Therefore, you should be careful when choosing the toilet for your bathroom.
Picking out a toilet is not that easy as it may seem. Most of us prefer the American standard toilet. However, it’s up to you to choose a style, type, flushing system, and design option depending on your preferences and needs.
Choose an Ideal Style of Toilet for Your Home
I know that it will sound surprising, but the style of your toilet shouldn’t depend just on your taste. You also need to consider things such as plumbing, space, and dimensions of the walls in your bathroom. Plus, there are two pieces of a toilet you should think about a bowl and a tank. Let’s see.
The wall-mounted toilets
You can choose and install this type of toilet only in a bathroom with the walls of a certain depth. Keep in mind that you should place a water tank inside the wall. Therefore, you need to check if its depth matches the size of the tank.
Another specific thing is that all plumbing, including water and waste pipes, needs to be inside the wall. That means that the walls of the bathroom need to be thick enough to support the weight of the toilet.
I know! It looks so modern and futuristic hanging from the wall, without touching the floor! Unfortunately, you need to have a bathroom with certain conditions to install that particular toilet. Also, the downside of this style is that you need more money for the toilet itself and related installations.
These toilets are practical and easy to clean. The huge advantage of this type is that a tank and a bowl come in one piece. Its primary characteristic is that it needs to stay firmly on the floor, and you can’t hang it on the wall.
On the other hand, you won’t have any trouble with installation and maintenance. That job requires just basic knowledge and a few pieces of the tool. Unfortunately, it costs a bit more than a traditional, two-piece toilet.
I like this model because it looks elegant and sophisticated. The downside of this style is that it is not practical. I mean, you can’t replace just one part when needed. If something breaks down, you have to replace the entire set.
These toilets are the most common models in the US. They are practical, reliable, highly convenient for use, and much cheaper than other styles available.
They come in two separate parts, a toilet bowl and a tank. That makes this model an excellent choice once you need to change it. I mean, if you decide that you want a new, modern tank, there is no need to change the entire set. If the bowl is OK, it can stay.
All in all, it is the long-lasting model, and one of the rare downsides of this style is that you need to dedicate more time for cleaning. It is not a pleasant and desirable job at all. Sorry!
Types of Flushing Toilets
According to the flushing toilet systems available on the market, I will list a few best types of toilets you can find.
Pressure assisted toilets
Many public places, such as restaurants, pubs, and cafes, prefer this type of toilet because it is quick and effective.
Thanks to a technique ‘two tanks in one,’ you will get a fantastic effect and become highly satisfied with the result. Basically, this technique uses air pressure to make the flushing more explosive. That helps gravity to do a better job after flushing.
The disadvantage of this particular type of toilet is that it is often louder than other models. Therefore, most Americans avoid installing it in their homes.
As the first type of toilets ever in the US, it is still the most common model in American homes. The system it uses includes gravity. It flushes the waste from the bowl, down to the drain.
As you probably know, you set free the water from the tank by pushing the lever. Thanks to gravity, water goes down and cleans the bowl.
If you don’t mind the aesthetics and want a practical and reliable model for your home, you should choose this one.
Thanks to a simple lever mechanism without too many parts to replace, you can quickly repair it when needed. Plus, there are a few modern and adorable models on the market these days. The only downside of this toilet I have noticed is wasting a lot of water.
Dual flush toilets
It is a smart combination of pressure-assisted and gravity-fed toilets. Thanks to two mechanisms it contains, you need to push the adequate button depending on the waste you want to clean up.
Usually, the dual flush toilet has two buttons to flush the water (light-full flush and half flush). If the waste is liquid, you should push the half flush. If the waste is solid, you need full flash.
Nowadays, more and more people choose this convenient, cozy, and eco-friendly model because it saves water.
Double cyclone toilets
Since you can expect the new regulations regarding water savings in the future, you should consider choosing this particular model. Not only it saves water, but it is also a very efficient type of toilet.
It has two nozzles in the bowl. The water comes out of these nozzles and circles in the toilet bowl. Both centrifugal and gravity force of the water clean the bowl while saving water.
Thanks to this model, you can use the toilet even though you live or go camping at a place without water supply. There are a few convenient types, such as a portable toilet, camping toilet, RV toilet, and toilet on specific worksites.
You don’t need a drain to use these toilets because they have containers for waste. There are several different methods of collecting and emptying waste, depending on the model you choose.
Special kinds of toilets
- Eco toilet – As an eco-friendly toilet, this model saves water, our planet, and your money at the same time. Perhaps you should think about the future of the Earth and your children first. Then pick out the model of the toilet for your home.
- Smart toilets– They usually have a display, and you can control its features, such as seat heating, flushing, or water-saving. Believe it or not, some smart toilets have a TV and music as well!
Designs and Dimensions of the Bowls
Toilets come in many different colors and dimensions. Colors are usually a question of your taste. On the other hand, measurements are crucial because every particular model needs to fit your bathroom perfectly.
Shapes of the bowl
- Egg-shaped (elongated) bowls – The fact that this model is comfortable and reliable makes it the first choice of most Americans. Keep in mind that it takes up a lot of space. Therefore, you can install it if your bathroom is big enough.
- Round shaped bowls – This shape is less comfortable, but it is an excellent choice if you are short on space in the bathroom.
Types of the toilet seat
- Standard seat height – The standard height of the toilet seat in the US is 14 to 15 inches (35.5 – 38 cm) high.
- Chair seat height – If you are a tall person, this type of toilet is an ideal solution for you. Since it is 16 to 17 inches (40.6 – 43 cm) high, it is also convenient for people with special mobility needs.
Often, the toilet seat is not a part of the set, and you can purchase and install it separately. Enjoy a variety of colors, shapes, materials, and special features, and pick out the model you like the best.
If you prefer that way, you can choose the toilet seat with open front seats or the one with a slow-close mechanism preventing slamming.
Positions for Flush Handle
Choosing the position for a handle is crucial if you have kids, especially the small ones.
- Motion handle – Nowadays, you can pick out a flush handle reacting to motion. It is similar to a door or water taps sensor. Imagine that privilege to flush the water by moving your hand over the specific area! Maybe it is not a perfect choice when you need to teach your child to wash the hands after using the toilet, but it is an excellent innovation indeed.
- Handle from the side – Most traditional models have this simple handle placed from the side of the water tank.
- Top handle – You will see this type of handle on the top of many contemporary tanks.
- Wall handle – If you go to Italy or Greece, you will find this type of handle everywhere. However, they are not unusual in the States either. The handle is placed on the wall, altogether with a water tank.
I know there are so many choices at your disposal, and it can be hard to pick out the right model. Think carefully about your options depending on your wishes and the plumbing and walls dimensions of your bathroom. Decide wisely and enjoy a beautiful and comfortable toilet.