If you have a shower with a curtain, choosing the right curtain rod is an important decision. A good curtain rod will keep the curtain in place while also adding to the overall visual effect of your bathroom.
There are many shower curtain rods to choose from, and there are several different styles too. If you need help choosing the right one for you home, here are our top picks for best shower curtain rod.
When choosing the best shower curtain rod for your bathroom, there are several considerations you should bear in mind. Here we talk about the most important aspects you should be thinking about when deciding which product to go for.
One of the first things you will want to consider is the installation process required to fix a shower curtain rod in place.
The strongest, sturdiest versions require you to drill holes in the wall to fix the rod up permanently. This type has the advantage of being more reliable – they won’t ever fall down – but they require more complicated work to install, and some people might even prefer to have them installed professionally.
Another kind is tension rods. These are installed by essentially wedging them between two walls and extending them – then the natural tension holds them in place, hence the name.
This type has the advantage of being quick and easy to install – you can usually have them in place in a matter of only minutes. They are also easy to move or remove if you change your mind later, and won’t leave holes in your walls.
However, the disadvantage is that they fall down more easily. The very best tension rods fall down only rarely when installed properly, but others may give you a headache by falling down every week or more.
The material the rod is made from is another important factor to consider. Since it will be constantly exposed to water, you should choose one that won’t rust. Rods made of rust-resistant stainless steel are a good option.
Also, make sure that the whole rod is rust-resistant – some stainless-steel rods have ends that are made of other materials, and this part may suffer from exposure to water more than the main part of the rod.
When choosing a rod, make sure it fits the space you are buying it for. Tension rods have maximum and minimum extensions, so make sure this matches the space where you want to install it.
Many tension rods are available in a range of sizes, so buy the correct one instead of one that is too long or too short.
Don’t forget to choose a rod that will suit your bathroom. The traditional color is chrome or stainless steel, but other options are available.
While a shower curtain rod is primarily a functional item, there’s no reason to choose one that looks ugly – so don’t forget to choose one that will look good in your bathroom when you are deciding which one to opt for.
The Best Shower Curtain Rod of 2019
1. AmazonBasics Tension Shower Doorway Curtain Rod
If you want something simple, inexpensive and functional that does the job without any fuss, this AmazonBasics shower curtain rod could be just the thing.
It features convenient tool-free installation – all you need to do is adjust the length, hold it in place and increase the tension. It has a length of between 56” and 90”, but if you need something longer or shorter than this, the same item is also available in other sizes.
While it is designed to be useful rather than decorative, it is still available in a range of five different color options, meaning you can choose one that best matches your bathroom’s color scheme.
Another advantage is the price – this item is one of the least expensive options available – making it great value for money.
We might complain that this shower curtain rod is not of the highest quality – although it’s not supposed to be. It is intended to be an inexpensive and simple solution for hanging shower curtains rather than a top-of-the range item – but for what it is, it is still a reliable product.
We could also point out that it isn’t the sturdiest option. While it’s fine for hanging something light like a shower curtain, if you try to hang heavier curtains, place wet towels on it or even grab it if you slip, you will find that it’s not up to the task.
However, if you take it for what it is intended to be – an inexpensive, basic item that simply does its job – you won’t be disappointed. If that sounds like what you need, this rod could be just what you are looking for.
- Tool-free installation – very easy to set up
- Adjustable length 54”-90” – and available in other sizes too
- Different colors available – can choose between five color options
- Simple, modern style – understated design
- Can be used for other purposes – shower curtains, other curtains or more
- Not high quality – designed as an inexpensive, functional solution
- May slip with heavy curtains or wet towels – not strong enough to hang things on
2. JimmLoo Shower Curtain Rod
This shower curtain rod from JimmLoo is another simple and inexpensive solution for your bathroom.
It has a minimum length of 40” and a maximum length of 76” – and if you need more, a longer version of the same product is also available. It is incredibly easy to install. You don’t need any tools – you simply hold it in place and extend it until it fixes itself between the walls.
The main rod is made of stainless steel and is designed to resist rust. We also like the large suction cups that are made to keep it in place and reduce the possibility of slipping. This makes it sturdy enough for you to hang clothes or towels on it too.
Another big positive is the price – this is a product that is as budget-friendly as you can hope for.
On the downside, we need to point out that the ends are not made of the same stainless steel as the rest of the bar. Instead, they are painted plastic – and we’re not sure how long the silver paint will last once installed in a wet environment.
Also, the instructions that come with it are terrible They are badly written and contain lots of typos. It’s almost insulting to include such a poorly written document, but fortunately, it isn’t really needed because installation is so intuitive anyway.
Aside from these minor points, this extendable rod is great value for money, so if you need something simple that will hold your shower curtain firmly in place, this item is worth a look.
- Easy to install – no tools required
- Includes large suction cups – designed to minimize the possibility of sliding
- Main bar made of stainless steel – rust resistant
- Rugged and strong – strong enough to hang clothes or towels on
- Very reasonable price – an inexpensive shower rod solution
- Ends not made of stainless steel – made of silver-painted plastic
- Terrible instructions – very poorly written and full of mistakes
3. BRIOFOX Rust-Free Fall Down-Free
This inexpensive shower curtain from Briofox has a minimum length of 42” and a maximum length of 72”. It is also available as a 26-42” version if you need something smaller.
It is as easy to install as you could hope. It requires no tools, and all you have to do is hold it in place and extend it until it stays. Once set up, it is rated as being able to hold up to 20lbs, plenty for even hanging clothes or a wet towel on.
It also features large suckers at each end that are designed to give it even more grip and prevent it from falling down. It is suitable for use on all surfaces.
We like the way there are five color options – not all bathrooms are decorated the same, and this allows you to choose one that matches the color scheme in your home. It is made of stainless steel and is designed to be rust-resistant to retain its shine.
Having said that, the ends are not made of the same material as the rest of the rod. The main problem with this is that they are a very slightly different color – not by much, but enough to notice.
Also, even though this rod is designed to be used on all materials, some people may find it less effective on some materials than others.
All in all, this is a great product that we like a lot. Another inexpensive solution for hanging a shower curtain and well worth checking out.
- Available in 5 different colors – good options for a range of bathrooms
- Very affordable price – great value for money
- Non-slip suckers – helps ensure it will stay in place without falling down
- Easy installation – no tools required and very little effort
- Rust-free – made of stainless steel and designed to keep its shine
- Ends not made of the same material – slightly different color noticeable
- Does not stay up as well on all materials – with some surfaces may still fall down
4. ALLZONE Tension Shower Window Curtain Rod
This shower curtain rod uses a push-button system to ensure it maintains the correct level of tension. This, coupled with the suction cups at each end, enables it to stay fixed in place, even when supporting a weight of up to 20lbs, enough for you to hang clothes or wet towels on it.
This rod has a minimum extension of 42” and a maximum extension of 81” – but it is also available in three other sizes, allowing you to choose exactly the right size for your home.
Installation is simple and requires no tools. It is also suitable for use on any surface. You simply hold it in place and then extend it to increase the tension against the wall. Using the push-button system, you then lock it in place when you reach the correct level of tension.
However, some people might find this push-button system a little hard to use. It can be awkward to push the button in and extend the rod. This just means it can be a little fiddly to adjust the tension. Also, the curtain can occasionally snag on the buttons.
One other point worth noting is that the instructions included are poorly written – and in this case, it’s more of a problem since the installation is slightly less intuitive due to the push-button system.
However, these are minor complaints rather than fatal flaws, and all in all, this is a reliable and great-value rod that does its job well. A recommended budget-friendly option.
- Suitable for use on all surfaces – a very versatile curtain solution
- Heavy-duty rod – can hold up to 20lbs without falling down
- Available in a range of sizes – can be used in many different locations
- Non-slip foot – designed to give it increased stability
- Easy to install – no tools required
- Buttons can be hard to push – and may also snag on the curtain
- Poorly written instructions – and not so intuitive to use
5. Zenna Home NeverRust Rustproof Aluminum Double Curved Shower Rod
If you want something sturdier and more permanent for your bathroom, this curved shower rod from Zenna could be worth checking out. This model is designed to be attached to the wall, ensuring it won’t fall down like some tension rod-style versions do.
The innovation here, and something we love, is the double-rod design. The first rod is there for the shower curtain, but it also includes a second rod for hanging clothes, towels or anything else on it. Since it is firmly attached to the wall, it’s also no problem if you want to load it up.
Another feature we appreciate is the curved shape that gives you a little bit more space in your shower. It doesn’t make too much difference, but sometimes even a small amount of extra space is welcome.
Finally, if you’re worried about rust, this could be the rod you’re looking for – it comes with a lifetime no-rust guarantee.
On the downside, the mounting hardware is on the flimsy side. You might be better off buying some extra hardware to make sure it is installed more firmly.
Also, installation is more complicated than with tension rods, and some people might prefer to call in a professional.
To summarize, this is a great option for someone looking for something more permanent – and is great for anyone who could use the extra flexibility of having a second bar for hanging things on.
- Completely rustproof – backed by a lifetime rust-free guarantee
- Double-rod design – extra rod for hanging towels etc. on
- Curved shape – increases the amount of space for you in your shower
- Rich chrome finish – attractive addition to your bathroom
- Permanent fixtures – more solid than tension rods
- Mounting hardware flimsy – sturdier if you buy your own
- Tricky to install – requires more work than a tension rod
6. Shower Curtain Rod 40-73 inches
This shower curtain tension rod has a minimum extension of 40” and a maximum extension of 73” – and is also available in a 60-112” version if you need something bigger.
It is easy to install and requires no tools or drilling – you can have it out of the box and fixed in place in a matter of minutes.
It features a suction cup at each end that is designed to fix it in place and prevent it from falling down. It is rated as being able to support a weight of up to 22lbs, slightly more than most other tension rod models.
It is made of non-rust 304 stainless steel, ensuring it will retain its shiny appearance for longer. Its simple, classy design also means it will look great in a wide range of bathroom settings.
On the downside, it is only available in one color, meaning you don’t have the option of choosing one that is more specifically suited to your bathroom.
Also, like most tension rods, it is not 100% reliable. It won’t fall down often, but you may still find that it falls down from time to time.
Overall, this is an attractive shower curtain rod that does the job it was designed to do with a minimum of fuss. It is easy to fix in place and sells for a very reasonable price. If you are looking for a solution for keeping your shower curtain in place, this one will do everything you need.
- Non-rust material – made of 304 stainless steel
- Easy to install – requires no tools or drilling and is ready in minutes
- Suction cups ensure it stays in place – can support up to 22lbs
- Simple, classy design – will look good in most bathrooms
- Good quality product – well worth the price
- Only available in one color – although suitable for most bathrooms
- Doesn’t work perfectly – like most tension rods, will still fall down occasionally
7. Vailge Room Divider Tension Curtain Rod
This is a versatile curtain rod that can be used for a range of applications. It has a minimum extension of 28” and a maximum of 43” – but is available in three other longer versions, allowing you to find the right one for your requirements.
One of the advantages is how is easy it is to set up and install. You simply put it in place and extend it until the tension holds it up. The push-button system allows you to fix it up firmly and securely. It’s also easy to move, should you need to.
One of the biggest positives is that it comes with a lifetime warranty, so you know you will always be covered if it ever fails. Another plus is the price. As one of the least expensive curtain rods available, this item represents great value for money.
Despite the low price, it also seems extremely sturdy – more so than you would expect from a product at this price point.
One of the few negatives is that it is only available in black. Some people might prefer to be able to choose something different, depending on where they hope to set it up.
Also, it can sag slightly in the middle – but this usually only happens when it is extended fully and is carrying a heavy load – and even then, the sag is only minimal.
This is another worthy option if you are looking for a curtain rod for your shower or any other application. If you want a combination of good quality and low price, this is an option that’s hard to beat.
- Measures 28-43” – but also available in four different sizes
- Easy to install or move – tool-free setup and no drilling required
- Lifetime warranty – guaranteed not to fail
- Very reasonable price – among the least expensive options available
- Seems durable for the price – should last a long time
- Only available in one color – the only option is black
- Can sag slightly – but usually only on full extension with a heavy load
Functional but also decorative
Shower curtain rods are functional items but also decorative too. Probably your first concern will be whether it stays in place, especially if you are buying a tension rod – there’s nothing more frustrating than having to pick it up and reinstall it once a week when it falls down.
However, don’t neglect the visual aspect – that way, you will have a rod that does its job of holding up the curtain while also enhancing the overall visual effect in your bathroom. And if you’re still not sure which to go for, any of the options in this review would be a great place to start looking.