Having a water filter is not a matter of prestige but a necessity in the contemporary world. It will remove the harmful contaminants from tap water and make it clean and healthy for your family.
However, keep in mind that most standard filters can’t entirely filter your water, but just reduce metals and chemicals in it. That fact makes the replacement of filters crucial. If you do it regularly, you will provide the best possible water for your family.
Why Changing the Filter is Important?
All of us need pure and healthy water to survive. Unfortunately, in some regions, it is possible to face tap water pollution. Regardless of whether it is about E. coli or heavy metals, they may negatively affect your health in the long run.
Most filters can reduce or entirely remove lead, zinc, mercury, copper, cadmium, and chlorine. The best fluoride water filter can maintain a healthy level of fluoride, as well. Also, there are a lot of reasons why you should install a whole house water filter. Most people have recognized the benefits of his type of filter, but can’t realize the importance of its regular replacing.
Well, the filter collects the contaminants that shouldn’t be present in the water you and your family consume. Once it gets clogged with grime, its effectiveness will decrease. Therefore, regular cleaning and replacing the cartridge in your water filter is crucial.
How Often to Change the Water Filter?
In general, you should clean or replace your water filter cartridge every two to six months. However, you should do it earlier when noticing that the water-color becomes darker or the water flow slows down. It will depend on a few factors, including:
- The brand of the system – Before using the filter, you should read the manual. Manufacturers always recommend the ideal period for cleaning or replacing the filter.
- Quality of water – It varies depending on the region you live in, which means that water may contain different levels of impurities. Also, you should consider the hardness of your water. Take advantage of the filter system coming with testing strips and analyze the quality of water before installing filters.
- Filter capacity – The filtering capacity ranges from 265 to 1585 gallons (1000 – 6000 l), or even more, depending on the model chosen.
- The number of users – The rule is simple. If you use your filter more, you should replace it more frequent. You may need to change it monthly if more household members live in the house. However, the frequency of replacing the filter will also depend on the particular type of device you use in your home.
- The number of appliances – One of the crucial factors is the number of units in your household, which need filtering. You should change your filter more often if you use it to purify water in more devices.
- Types of filter – Every model of filter you use has a recommended period of usage. After that, you need to change it. Let’s see.
Whole house water filter
I am a fan of a whole house water filter since it can provide clean water for my family throughout my house. The best option is to install it on the main supply line, from where it delivers water to all taps.
If you change the filter regularly, you will get clear water at any time. How often you should do it will primarily depend on the type of filter you use. Most classical models require changing every 2 to 6 months. You will need to replace well-sediment filters most often, while carbon filter requires replacement once in 4 to 6 months.
If you are still not sure when the right time for replacing your filter is, you can:
- Consult the manual, customer service representatives, or website
- Ask a trusted plumber
- Replace it as soon as you notice any changes in water quality or water pressure
Refrigerator water filter
If your refrigerator has an icemaker or water dispenser, it also has a refrigerator water filter for removing impurities. You should change it at least twice a year since contaminants in water may leave an unpleasant taste and awful odor inside your unit. The best way to avoid mistakes is to check the manual for the cartridge your refrigerator uses.
Under sink water filter
You need to change your under sink water filter frequently because of its size. Depending on the model, you should do it once in six to twelve months.
Some rough estimates indicate that you should change the filter every:
- Nine months if the entire family uses it (high water consumption)
- Twelve months for a couple (average water consumption)
- Fifteen months for a single user (low water consumption)
These filters reduce the level of chlorine, harsh sediment, and heavy metals in the water you use for showering. Consequently, they will reduce the irritation of your skin. It’s up to you to decide if you prefer attaching a shower filter to a showerhead or purchasing the one with an already integrated filter.
How often you need to replace your shower filter will depend on how much water you use. On average, you should change the filter every six months. However, regardless of the required period, you will probably need to do it as soon as you use 10,000 gallons (37,854 l) of water. Basically, it will primarily depend on the number of members in your household.
For example, if you use the shower several times a day, you should change the filter every 2 to 3 months. If you use the shower once a day, it is recommended to change it once in 4 to 5 months. In any case, six months is the most prolonged period you should wait before replacing it.
The great thing is that the casing of the shower head filter is clear. Therefore, you can see a difference between a new filter and the one needing replacement.
For instance, if you notice greenish or blue tint to the filter, you will know that it is the time for replacing since there is too much-accumulated chlorine. A similar replacement system applies to the faucet water filter, as well.