Sunrise Specialty » 8 Pull Out Spray Kitchen Faucet Problems (Causes & Fix Methods)

8 Pull Out Spray Kitchen Faucet Problems (Causes & Fix Methods)

Having a pull-out head on a kitchen sink faucet is such a great idea. They’re so practical and convenient, making washing and rinsing dishes, cleaning dirty items and many other household tasks a whole lot easier while giving you so much more flexibility.

Unfortunately, due to the number of moving parts, they’re also prone to wear and tear, often breaking down far quicker than regular faucets.

However, there’s no need to buy a new one just yet since many of the problems are easy to resolve – so here’s a list of possible pull-out spray kitchen faucet problems as well as their causes and fixes.

Pull Out Spray Kitchen Faucet Problems

1. Pull down or Pull Out kitchen faucet Hose not retracting

Hose does not retract properly

Probably the most common problem with pull-out spray kitchen faucets – and one you’ll almost certainly have to deal with eventually – is when the hose doesn’t retract.

There are two main reasons for this to happen, and the first is to do with the weights that cause it to retract.

Pull-out faucets use a very simple system to pull the hose back in when you let go of it. They simply have a weight attached to the other end of the hose, so when you let go, the hose is retracted by gravity.

However, if the spray hose weight falls off – or perhaps even just moves – it won’t work anymore, so the first thing you need to do is check if the weight is still there.

Look under the sink and see if the weight is still attached to the hose. If it’s fallen off, all you need to do is find it and reattach it – and you’re ready to go again.

Another common problem is that the hose gets stuck or tangled somehow beneath the sink.

Again, the fix is simple. Look under the sink and find where the hose is catching, and if you can see what it’s snagging on or where it’s tangled, you can easily resolve whatever is causing the problem.

2. Pull down or Pull Out kitchen faucet Low water pressure

Low water pressure 1

Another very common problem that you’ll have to deal with is your pull-out spray head losing water pressure.

Spray heads usually feature an aerator, a small grille that adds air to the stream to make it more comfortable to use and to reduce splashing.

The problem with these, though, is that over time, they can collect a buildup of mineral sediment deposits – something that happens even faster in areas with hard water.

Once limescale starts to build up inside the aerator, the water will find it harder to pass through, reducing the pressure of the water.

Fortunately, this is another very simple problem to fix.

All you need to do is remove the aerator – usually just by unscrewing it – and clean the grille.

Often, you can just do this with your fingers or perhaps with an old toothbrush or something similar. Alternatively, you can use a toothpick or a pin to clean out debris from each individual hole.

If the mineral buildup is more significant, you can also use vinegar to clean it.

Pour some white vinegar into a cup that’s large enough to fit the aerator inside and leave the aerator to soak in the vinegar overnight.

The acetic acid in the vinegar will dissolve the mineral buildup, after which you can simply wash it off and give it a brush with a toothbrush if necessary before screwing it back onto the faucet ready for use.

Tip: It’s worth removing the aerator and cleaning it periodically before it becomes completely blocked to prevent mineral buildups from becoming too bad.

3. Pull down or Pull Out kitchen faucet Leaking hose

Sometimes you will find that the hose from your kitchen faucet sprayer starts leaking. This usually happens when the hose is old or worn out, but it can also happen when the connectors have failed.

In either case, the best solution is just to replace the hose. This will be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole faucet system, and it’s also easy enough for just about anybody to do themselves.

Start by turning off the water supply to the faucet from the supply lines at the water valves, and then disconnect the spray hose from the high-pressure hose beneath the sink.

Once this is done, you can remove the weight from the hose and pull the hose out through the faucet hole.

Slide the new hose back through the faucet hole, fit the weight back onto the new hose and connect the new hose to the high-pressure pipe where you removed the old hose.

You can now turn the water back on and test the new hose to see if the leak has been fixed.

Tip: There are several types of hose connection – with threads, with a quick-release connector and with a collet connection – so check which type you have before buying a replacement hose to make sure you get the right type.

4. Pull down or Pull Out kitchen faucet Leaking spray head

Leaking spray head

Like leaking hoses, spray heads can also begin leaking with time due to general wear and tear as well as mineral buildups.

You may be able to resolve a leaky spray head by removing it and cleaning any mineral deposits from it – this can be done using a toothbrush or by soaking in vinegar, depending on the severity of the deposit.

However, often, the simplest solution is just to buy a new spray head since, depending on the model you choose, it probably won’t cost you too much money.

Start by turning off the water supply to the faucet, then unscrew the old spray head and remove the washer and C-clip.

Then, take the new spray head, reattach the washer and C-clip and screw the new spray head into place.

Turn the water supply back on and test the new spray head to see if it is working correctly and if the leak has been fixed.

Tip: Sometimes fixing this problem can require nothing more than fitting a new washer.

5. Pull down or Pull Out kitchen faucet Doesn’t sit snug in the cradle

Doesn’t sit snugly in the cradle

One issue you may face is when the spray head no longer fits snuggly into its cradle.

First, check that it isn’t a problem with the hose weight or the hose being snagged, as in #1 above, because if the hose isn’t retracting properly, it can mean the spray head doesn’t get pulled back into the cradle the way it should.

If this isn’t the root of the problem, it may just be an issue of normal wear and tear. Since a pull-out kitchen faucet has moving parts, it will inevitably wear out with time. This is just something you have to accept, and resolving it may eventually involve buying a new one.

Tip: This kind of problem usually occurs much quicker with cheaper models, so if you can afford to invest a bit more money in your kitchen faucet when you buy it, you shouldn’t have to deal with this kind of problem for some time.

6. Pull down or Pull Out kitchen faucet Clogged diverter valve

Clogged diverter valve

A diverter valve is something that diverts the water to the fixture you want it to come out of. For example, if you have a shower in your bathtub, you probably have a diverter valve that sends the water either to the bathtub faucet or to the showerhead.

Many pull-out faucets also have diverter valves to divert the water from the main faucet to the sprayer – and if the valve becomes clogged or dirty, it can cause the faucet to work improperly.

If you have a weak flow of water from the spray head – and it isn’t due to the clogging of the aerator – it could be due to a blocked diverter valve. You can test this by removing the spray head and seeing how much water comes out.

If the water pressure is low after you have removed the spray head, it probably means the problem is due to the diverter valve.

Similarly, if you switch the diverter to send water to the spray head but water continues to come out of the main faucet, it’s also a good indication that a clogged diverter valve is to blame.

You may be able to fix this problem by removing the diverter valve and cleaning it.

Start by turning off the water supply, then remove the faucet handle with the help of a flathead screwdriver. Expose the faucet’s cam by turning the cap anticlockwise, then remove the diverter using needle-nose pliers.

Clean the valve by scrubbing or soaking it in vinegar and then put everything back together.

Turn the water back on and test to see if the problem has been resolved.

If not, it may be that the valve is faulty rather than just dirty and clogged, in which case you will need to replace it.

7. Pull down or Pull Out kitchen faucet Sticking water handle

If you find your water handle starts sticking, this is usually due to an accumulation of dirt, grime and mineral deposits.

This is another simple problem to fix. Just remove the handle, give the various parts a good clean, scrubbing with a brush or soaking in vinegar as necessary, and then put it all back together again. You should now find the problem has been resolved.

8. Pull down or Pull Out kitchen faucet Spout comes off

Among the simplest problems to fix, if the faucet spout comes off, all you need to do is reattach it.

If this happens, before refitting it, check it over to see if it’s still in good working order. If not, it may have fallen off because it’s broken, in which case you’ll need to buy a new one.

No need to buy a new faucet just yet

As you can see, often, it’s quite simple to repair a pull-out faucet or buy replacement parts rather than buying a whole new fixture.

You can extend your faucet’s life by keeping it clean and properly maintained, and if it breaks down, you have a good chance of being able to fix it.

But at the same time, you need to understand that they don’t last forever, and eventually, after the warranty has expired, you will need to bite the bullet and spend the cash on a new faucet.

58 thoughts on “8 Pull Out Spray Kitchen Faucet Problems (Causes & Fix Methods)”

1. My faucet spray head keeps falling off. How can I fix it? I put it back and it stays in a while but if accidentally pull it at all it falls off

• I have the same problem, Mary. Did you find a solution?

• My faucet has started doing the same thing. Did you find any solution? Thanks!

• The weight under the cabinet is missing, fell off or needs adjustment so it doest get hung up on pipes or hose.

2. I have a pull-down sprayhead that appears to get struck between spray and stream. It makes a loud rattling/vibrating noise and proceeds to go back and forth from spray to stream. Most of the time it stays stuck on spray but still makes the noise and pops back for 1 or 2 seconds on stream then back to spray. I don’t think a clogged diverter is the problem like you mention in #6, (BTW- the picture in #6 appears to be a traditional faucet with a separate sprayer -Maybe I’m wrong). Can you help me? The noise is bad- loud and irritating! Thank you.

• I have this same problem! Hopefully someone will answer with what can be done.

• I have the exact same problem!!!!! can I disable the sprayer so I only flow with a stream? this is a total pain and mess!

• You need to contact delta, Kohler, or whatever brand and request a replacement water head.. Aldo check ebay. Easy to install

• Our sprayer is olds and begin to leak at the base of the sprayer and spray water when the regular faucet was turned on (from the hose part not the actual spray head) turns out it was actually leaking under the sink from the spray hose..basically a nightmare I luckily noticed in time. We bought a higher quality hose and sprayer..installed it and dang if we have the SAME ISSUES. ANY ADVICE PLEASE HELP

• I have exactly the same problem. Any solutions?

• I have the same issue with a Kohler faucet. Any reply’s??

• I have this issue with my Pegasus pull-down. If you remove and open up the spray head you’ll find a cartridge with a spring – something in that mechanism is the problem. I thought it was that the spring was too compressed so the button doesn’t press down correctly, but I’m now wondering if it’s the cartridge part. But that’s where my stream/spray issue is! I can mess with it and get it working, but it seems to be a temporary solution – it’s gone back to its old ways once or twice.

• I had the same thing. Take it apart down to the valve with the spring in it. Then you can either replace the spring with a stiffer one, or do what I did and add some 3mm washers. The spring is what keeps valve normally in stream. The washers compress the spring a bit more so it can stay in stream mode without slipping into spray.

• I have the same issue. Did you dind the solution?

3. my Moen pull-out faucet is not giving me any water at all in my kitchen sink, every other faucet in the house works, but this just suddenly quit working. No water at all. It is not one of the tall faucets, kind of looks like the Dura faucet

• when mine choked off to a trickle, it was the hose that had to be replaced. There was a flexible plastic lining in the hose, possibly silicon. Somehow water got between the plastic and the outer casing and caused the plastic to inflate. That swelling cut off the flow.

4. I have a pull out spray hose that sprays a hard stream of water out of one of the holes, runs normal out of all the others. Is there a solution? Help

• any answers to this. I have the same issue.

5. Took sprayer head off because it was stuck. With the sprayer head off water will only come out hose. Whats wrong?

6. I have a pull out spray handle faucet. Well the handle to turn on the water is sticking. How would I clean it if there is not a way to take off the handle?

• I have the same problem. Did you get an answer?

7. I took off my sprayer to clean it and I didn’t secure the hose. It fell to the floor of the cabinet. When I pushed it back up the connector was missing. Can I replace the connector, or do I have to disconnect the faucet underneath to retrieve the connector?

• You would have to disconnect the faucet either way. Might as well just retrieve the connector.

• I unscrewed the sprayer head on a pullout sprayer on an rv to clean the screen and the hose retracted into faucet. It has a weight on it below that pulls it back down. The threaded part that sprayer head screws into got stuck. Took a large headed nail and with one touch the part came free and i put it back together. Plumber might have another solution, but i’m not a plumber.

• I have the same problem. I’m having a terrible time! The answer that somebody already gave was not very helpful. Were you successful at all at retrieving the connector? I’m desperate

8. The extending faucet sprayer is leaking where the button is to switch from stream to spray. Is this an easy fix.

• Hi, I’m having the same issue. How were you able to fix this?
      Thank you.

9. Water comes through the outside of the spray pipe & also leaks into cupboard bellow sink, it still comes out of the spray as well??!!

• hi alison did you get any feed back on this problem i have just started getting this its a new tap

10. How do you eliminate a drip from an Omnidirectional faucet.

11. My faucet head won’t stay up in it’s place… Help

• You need a hose weight, that will pull your faucet head back up in place.

12. The retractable hose fell back down inside the faucet and I can’t push it back up or pull it out the bottom?? What do I need to do???

• I’m having the exact problem, but can’t seem to find an answer.

• I am having the same basic problem. I need to replace the faucet retractable hose. I disconnected everything fine. The hose fitting got stuck trying to pull it out from the top. I cannot push it back down and cannot pull it out.
      How can I get that hose out?
      Thank you!

• Same thing happened to me, and I discovered that in my Delta faucet the hose weight, that the video shows as a clip on, is a donut and doesn’t come off unless you completely pull the hose out, which I didn’t want to do (in case I had the problem others report here that the connector comes off and gets lost or stuck when you pull the hose down/out into the cabinet). So, I taped that donut to the drainpipe at the highest place I could, and that gave me enough slack to push the hose back up through the faucet. Doing this by myself, so I had one hand pushing the hose from under the sink, and a clothespin in the other hand to snap onto the hose connector end when I had pushed it far enough out of the faucet to reach it; the clothespin kept if from falling back into the faucet.

13. I have a separate sprayer from my delta single handle faucet (the handle is also separate from the spout). There is a leak from the sprayer handle… nowhere else. I have replaced the sprayer but it still leaks. Any ideas?

14. I have a pull out faucet In the big ball underneath Cuts the flow of water of

15. I have a hamat faucet. To get the sprayer function to work i would press the button and it would engage. I cannot get that button to engage (stay down) so that the sprayer will work by itself. I now need to hold the button manually and the sprayer works. Any suggestions?

16. On occasion, the pressure of the faucet goes way down. I have to unscrew the head to clean the sedicment off the screen and last night, the hose fell into the faucet. I managed to get it back out but the screw cover is missing. I have a replacement hose that I’m trying to use. I taped it to the one in place and planned to pull it through but it won’t go all the way through. Any ideas for me?

17. My pull down spray has a pin hole leak near the sprayer. Is there a quick fix? I could remove it and cut it off but I don’t know how to reattach it.

18. My faucet keeps falling off. Will not screw tight enough to not stay attached.

Just installed.

19. Kitchen faucet sprays fine until I turn on full blast, then it slows to a trickle and sputters. What is wrong??

20. When I go to pull the sprayer head out, it gets stuck and I can’t pull it out without using a great deal of force and then it won’t go back in, even if I had feed it back. It’s worse when I am using cold water; otherwise, when using hot water it pulls out and retracts as it should. Funny how the temperature impacts the action. Any thoughts?

21. Same Problem makes noise get stuck on stream

22. what is the best water sealant to seal between hose connector and water mixer. joint is on so tight no one can get it off-instead of tearing everything apart would just like to water seal joint between 2 nuts-small drip when running water

23. Our self touch hose will not go back into the faucet after use. Seems to be stuck. Any suggestions

24. My problem with the spray gun is that when I turn on the faucet the water comes straight out of the spray gun without me pressing the lever. It does not come out the spout. Would this be the diverter or the spray gun?

25. My sprayer is the main water line for some reason it won’t go back to the main faucet

26. I have similar problem. The spray gun of my Moen kitchen faucet turns on automatically without pressing the lever. The water comes in pressure and it is hard to adjust the pressure as the side handle that turns the water off and on gets pretty tight.

27. The weight that came with the faucet slides off periodically. There isn’t a trend to how the faucet is being used which could cause the weight to fall off; seems to slowly slide off the clasp. Any thoughts? I can’t figure out how to get it on the clasp “tighter”.

28. I took the spray head off and the hose slid into the faucet. how do I get it out?

29. My hose leaks where the slide on weight is at. Is it from wear of weight sliding back and forth on it

30. I have a Delta pull down faucet. When I swing the faucet to one side, it doesn’t stay in the exact place, it moves slightly one way or the other. This happens whether I move it left or right. How do I tighten this part of the faucet?

31. My swill faucet is Very hard to turn from one sink to other & the hose is very hard to get to go back in after extending it out

32. My faucet still works but I have very reduced flow in the hot water side. i get full flow on the cold water side. It also drips when off on the cold water side but not on the hot water side. I have the pull out spray faucet type

33. One more location for a potential clog and obstruction to water pressure. There can be a screen at the interface of the hose and the sprayer. Detach the sprayer from the hose to examine and clean that screen if necessary.