Most men hate having constructors decorating the kitchen in their homes, but women adore making changes in this part of the house. After choosing the desired style of the kitchen elements, such as kitchen faucets, kitchen sink, or range hood, you should decide on one of the essential components of this project. Pick out adequate countertop materials!
Fortunately, unlike choosing the right color, it is not too hard picking out the material since there are no too many of them suitable for the kitchen worktop. Before making the final decision, you should consider your habits and needs in this place. Let’s do it together!
Best Durable Materials for Kitchen Countertop
Most of us like this sturdy material giving a natural and stylish look to our kitchen. The most desirable choices are definitely marble, granite, and soapstone.
1. Marble countertop material
Although marble is softer than granite and comes in fewer colors and patterns, it is still an ultimate and highly desirable natural stone for the working surface. It is an excellent choice if you spend a lot of time baking. However, keep it safe from knife scars and acidic food.
- It is a durable, heatproof, and waterproof material with striking natural patterns
- Each piece of marble is unique, which will make your kitchen one of a kind
- Marble requires high-maintenance and repeated sealing
- It is an expensive material
- DIY installation is impossible
2. Granite countertop material
Even though this natural stone is quite expensive, it is a highly desirable choice when it comes to countertop material. Such a sophisticated choice represents elegance, beauty, and luxury you want to see in your kitchen.
- Since it is a natural material, each slab is unique
- It is a durable and robust product, and almost nothing, including heat, scratches, or cuts can harm it
- There are 3.000 different colors of granite available, including fantastic vibrant blues, sensual deep red, or midnight black
- It is an expensive material, and the price of rare colors may be extremely high
- You can’t install it by yourself
- Installed improperly, it will crack over time
- You may have an issue with chipping edges and corners
3. Soapstone countertop material
Soapstone is a highly exotic, non-porous material you will be proud of having in your kitchen. Pick out the right color and enjoy pure elegance.
- It is a superb, usually dark gray material resistant to heat damage
- It takes on an attractive antique-like patina over time
- This stone is somewhat stain-resistant, and you can sandblast any possible damage
- It is soft, and you may notice knife marks after a while
- Soapstone will darken over time
- You can’t install it by yourself
Most Traditional Countertop Materials
If you are the traditional type, you can pick out one of the most attractive and popular countertop materials. You can’t make a mistake that way.
4. Wood countertop material
I like traditional wood countertops so much! Wood is a healthy choice, which kills 99.9% of bacteria within three minutes. Plus, it looks timelessly and can last forever if you maintain them correctly. In most cases, you can purchase a model made of dense and hardwood maple or oak.
- It looks warm and comfortable
- it is an easy-to-clean material with a heat-resistant work surface
- You can install and repair it by yourself, sandblast it, and reseal the surface if needed
- It is not resistant to knife marks, stains, and water
- You should oil and seal it frequently if you want to avoid cracking
- Basically, it is an expensive material for countertops
5. Quartz countertop material
Quartz (engineered stone) is an increasingly popular choice because of its hardness, durability, and beauty. The offer of patterns and colors of this stone was limited until recently. However, it is much affordable now.
- It is a durable material requiring low-maintenance
- You can choose between a wide variety of colors and patterns
- It is resistant to heat and stains and doesn’t need annual sealing
- Unfortunately, it is an expensive material
- You will need professional help to chip edges and corners
- Countertops made of quartz are too heavy
6. Solid-surface countertop material
Since the solid-surface countertops are a product of a polyester, solid acrylic, or their mixture, they require low maintenance. Plus, you can choose among a wide variety of colors and patterns of this alternative to natural stone.
- It is quickly repairable and non-porous material resistant to most stains
- The seams are almost invisible
- It requires low-maintenance
- Available in a variety of colors and patterns
- You can use it as a cheaper replacement of granite and quartz
- It is not resistant to heat and scratches
- This moderately expensive material is not resistant to heat
- DIY installation is not possible
7. Concrete countertop material
Concrete has become a quite trendy choice for countertops in a few past years. Not only it is a durable and hard material, but you also have a wide range of colors at your disposal.
- You can mix it with other materials, such as embedding glass to get a real artistic result
- It is resistant to scratches and heat
- You can choose a color-tinted model and give your kitchen and exotic look
- Since it is heavy-weight, the usual offer includes getting cast concrete countertops especially designed for your kitchen
- You need to hire a professional to install this type of countertop
- It requires regular sealing
- You can spot some cracks over time
- It is quite expensive
8. Resin countertop material
Beautiful and durable, seamlessly finished countertops made of resin can be an excellent choice for your kitchen. You can choose desirable style options, any of a few standard lengths, as well as a color you like the best.
- It is a sturdy, durable, reliable, highly attractive, and affordable material
- Most types of resin are resistant to UV rays, impact, scratches, stains, acids, and heat
- Since this material is non-porous, it doesn’t support the growth of fungi and bacteria
- You can’t find a consistent product of a certain quality
9. Lava countertop material
It is a highly functional and one of the most uniquely beautiful countertop materials you can find on the market. After mining it, designers usually cut this material made from the lava stone separately for each order.
- It is a durable and attractive material resistant to heat, acids, stains, and UV rays
- You can effortlessly install it by yourself
- You will enjoy its smooth, water-resistant, and non-porous surface
- It is probably the most expensive countertop material on the market
- You can’t refinish it
10. Ceramic tile countertop material
It doesn’t matter which tile you choose for your countertop. Each size, color, and pattern will fit perfectly into your interior. The most popular these days are tiles made of ceramic and stone, but take care not to use wall tile on the counter.
- Tiles are affordable, reliable, and resistant to heat
- Ceramic ones are durable, non-porous, and easy to clean
- You can construct them by yourself
- There are a ton of different styles and colors available
- Since they are brittle, you may expect them to crack over time
- You need to reseal grout regularly
- Some models are expensive
11. Plastic laminate countertop material
It is one of the most affordable countertop materials coming in 2 x 4 (61 cm – 1.2 m) or 4 x 8 feet (1.2 – 2.4 m) sheets. You can cut them to fit your needs.
- Laminate is the most affordable material available in lots of colors
- You can quickly install it by yourself
- It requires low maintenance
- Unfortunately, you can chip or scratch it quickly, and there is no way to repair the surface
- It is not heat-resistant
- Seams are too visible and appropriate backsplash and edging will cost you extra money
Eco-Friendly Countertop Materials
Nowadays, more and more people want to align the beauty of their kitchen and the safety of their environment. Therefore, both sustainable and recycled materials are highly popular.
12. Bamboo countertop material
Since bamboo grass renewables quickly and grows extremely fast, it is a desirable eco-friendly and relatively affordable material.
You won’t regret it if you choose this product to make unique and natural countertop, which will transform your kitchen entirely.
13. Palmwood countertop material
Until recently, palm trees beyond the fruit-bearing stage finished burnt or cut down. Fortunately, people use them for the production of attractive woody countertops now.
The advantages of this tree are unbelievable beauty and the possibility of recycling. Plus, it is stronger than oak and much affordable.
14. Reclaimed wood countertop material
It is not necessary to throw wood buildings after turning them down. Some environment-friendly innovators use them to make kitchen countertops.
By using this easy-to-recycle, natural, and traditionally-appealing product, you will get an impressive space and contribute to keeping our planet safe.
15. Recycled glass countertop material
Nowadays, innovative manufacturers transform millions of tons of broken glass into the attractive countertops for the kitchen. You can cut them into various shapes and embed them in a base of cement, concrete, or resin.
That way, you will get a modern, sturdy, non-porous, and stain-resistant countertop. To get a durable surface, you should pick out tempered, at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick glass.
16. Paper countertop material
Believe it or not, you can find countertops made of 100% post-consumer paper. After compressing into sheets, it is enough to cover them in natural resin to get a durable countertop.
Make your kitchen cheerful by entering such an eco-friendly countertop produced in a rainbow of colors.
17. HDPE countertop material
We use this plastic in a wide range of construction and consumer products. Instead of throwing it in landfills, it is possible recycling it.
After shredding, compressing, and bounding plastic with resin, they become beautiful and useful products such as a worktop for your kitchen.
Other Countertop Materials
I will list you a few other materials you can use for your countertop, even though they are not in widespread use yet.
18. Onyx countertop material
I appreciate this highly attractive, translucent, semi-precious variety of agate.
Imagine your countertop in vibrant shades of green, pink, or orange, and choose it to beautify your kitchen unexpectedly.
It is not durable material, but the right sealant will make it resistant and long-lasting.
19. Terrazzo countertop material
It is a lovely composite material made of pieces of marble, granite, quartz, and glass poured into a chemical resin.
After being highly fashionable in the 80s, it is popular these days again. You should consider this timeless trendy material as an excellent choice for your countertop.
20. Quartzite countertop material
You will appreciate this precious natural stone resistant to heat and scratches. It is a vibrant and relatively non-porous material, which comes in numerous color options. Such a lovely choice for your countertop!
21. Travertine countertop material
With a creamy appearance, this material is, aesthetically speaking, a highly pleasing choice for your kitchen.
The primary disadvantage of travertine is that it requires more maintenance. Since its pitted surface can absorb liquids and trap bacteria and pieces of food over time, you should seal it appropriately before starting using it.
22. Corian countertop material
Corian is an attractive material composite of alumina trihydrate and acrylic polymer.
There are a lot of advantages to its use, including low maintenance and high durability. Plus, you can choose among numerous colors available.
23. Stainless steel countertop material
Steel is a contemporary and durable countertop material resistant to heat, which will provide an industrial look for your kitchen.
You should pick out this material if you prefer having a modern-style kitchen. Even though it is easy-to-clean and elegant, it can be too expensive and noisy.
24. Copper countertop material
I find copper worktops convenient and reliable, and believe that the demand for them will grow over time. Even though this material is not highly popular these days, it can be quite pricey, especially if you want it made to order.
25. Porcelain countertop material
Porcelain is old material, but entirely new in the kitchen design. The popularity of practical and durable porcelain countertops in the US has grown steadily recently.
You can find it in many colors, different finishes, and weights. The great thing is that you can install it over existing countertops and recycle. Unfortunately, it is an expensive choice.
If you are a creative person, you can make a countertop of unique materials for your kitchen, as well. Believe it or not, you can use the most incredible raw materials, such as wine vats, sunflower seed hulls, recycled aluminum, or Fuez made of recycled glass, shells, and stone for that purpose.